Featured Articles

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

Intel's 5th Core processor family, codenamed Broadwell, will launch in three lines for the mobile segment. We are talking about upcoming…

More...
Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Google's Chromebook OS should be updating automatically every six weeks, but Intel doesn't come close with its hardware refresh schedule.

More...
New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

Rumours involving upcoming Nexus devices are nothing uncommon, but this year there is a fair bit of confusion, especially on the…

More...
Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

As expected and reported earlier, Nvidia has now officially announced its newest Shield device, the new 8-inch Shield Tablet. While the…

More...
Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool is well known for its gamer cases with aggressive styling. However, the Dead Silence chassis offers consumers a new choice,…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Friday, 09 July 2010 10:11

iPhone 4 catches fire

Written by Nick Farell
iphone_4_logo

Is there anything it can do right?
Apple's latest toy, the iPhone 4, which only works when you use it in your right hand, now apparently now catches fire. The broken phone, which has sold in millions despite warnings, has had a list of things go wrong with it. It also switches off when you stick it close to your ear.

However now it seems that if you hook an iPhone 4 to your computer with the Steve Jobs' blessed USB cord the phone can fry and your paws can get burnt.

According to a source inside AT&T, the charring resulted from a faulty USB port and not human error: Apple confirm to AT&T that there appeared to be a defective USB port and not some sort of user error. It has not made any official comment  despite the story being covered by Boy Genus
complete with snaps.

The phone bezel was extremely hot and it slightly burned the customers hand. The USB port in the phone was slightly melted and the cord was badly melted.

Apple has a bit of history when it comes to products catching fire. Last year the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch were officially pronounced smoking.

The fanboy argument is that if you make enough electronic devices sooner or later one is going to catch fire. Of course if you make a $180 gadget and charge three times that much it is more likely to catch fire than a gadget made from products which were actually worth it.

Nick Farell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments