Featured Articles

Hands on: Nvidia Shield Tablet with Android 5.0

Hands on: Nvidia Shield Tablet with Android 5.0

We broke the news of Nvidia's ambitious gaming tablet plans back in May and now the Shield tablet got a bit…

More...
Nokia N1 Android tablet ships in Q1 2015

Nokia N1 Android tablet ships in Q1 2015

Nokia has announced its first Android tablet and when we say Nokia, we don’t mean Microsoft. The Nokia N1 was designed…

More...
Marvell launches octa-core 64-bit PXA1936

Marvell launches octa-core 64-bit PXA1936

Marvell is better known for its storage controllers, but the company doesn’t want to give up on the smartphone and…

More...
TSMC 16nm FinFET Plus in risk production

TSMC 16nm FinFET Plus in risk production

TSMC’s next generation 16nm process has reached an important milestone – 16nm FinFET Plus (16FF+) is now in risk production.

More...
Nvidia GTX 970 SLI tested

Nvidia GTX 970 SLI tested

Nvidia recently released two new graphics cards based on its latest Maxwell GPU architecture, with exceptional performance-per-watt. The Geforce GTX 970…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:21

Former Wikileaks number two denies destroying documents

Written by Nick Farell
y_globe

I am being smeared
The former number two of Wikileaks is denying claims that he destroyed significant documents when he left the outfit. Daniel Domscheit-Berg says WikiLeaks is publicly exaggerating the contents of the deleted files, in an increasingly ugly dispute playing out over Twitter and in the press.

Domscheit-Berg told the German newsweekly Der Spiegel that he’d deleted more than 3,500 unpublished documents that he and an associate took with them when they left the organization last year. He said he destroyed the documents because Julian Assange could not guarantee safe handling of the files or their sources.

WikiLeaks Twitter feed has been releasing a list of important documents and files it claims are lost to history because of Domscheit-Berg’s actions. These included “videos of a major US atrocity in Afghanistan.” Five gigabytes of data from Bank of America, and a copy of the U.S. No-Fly List.

Domscheit-Berg said that the No-Fly list was deleted because it had already been published and other claims about what the destroyed documents contain are “false and misleading.” Domscheit-Berg said. The Bank of America documents were outside the time period that is outside the scope of when the documents that Domscheit-Berg destroyed. The objects he destroyed were from January 2010 to September 2010 and the Bank of America stuff was earlier.

He told Wired that Assange had claimed repeatedly in the past that he was going to publish the bank data. Then he claimed Domscheit-Berg was blackmailing him over it. Now he claims his number two destroyed it.

However there is the small mater of thevideo of a 2009 U.S. air strike near Garani village in Afghanistan. The local government insisted the air strike killed nearly 100 civilians, most of them children. The Pentagon released a report about the incident in 2009, but backed down from a plan to show video of the attack to reporters. Wikileaks got its paws on it and now claims that Domscheit-Berg wiped it.

More here.

Nick Farell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments