Featured Articles

HP Stream is a Chromebook killer priced at $200

HP Stream is a Chromebook killer priced at $200

We have been hearing reports of a new breed of affordable Windows notebooks for months. It is alleged that a number…

More...
AMD Radeon R7 SSD line-up goes official

AMD Radeon R7 SSD line-up goes official

AMD has officially launched its first ever SSDs and all three are part of AMD’s AMD Radeon R7 SSD series.

More...
KitKat has more than a fifth of Android users

KitKat has more than a fifth of Android users

Android 4.4 is now running on more than a fifth of Android devices, according to Google’s latest figures.

More...
Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool is well known for its gamer cases with aggressive styling. However, the Dead Silence chassis offers consumers a new choice,…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Monday, 22 October 2012 09:24

Italy's top court said mobiles kill you

Written by Nick Farrell



Too many calls and its pasta la vista baby


Italy’s supreme court has decided that there was a link between a business executive’s brain tumor and his heavy mobile phone usage. The court’s decision flies in the face of much scientific opinion, but then the Italians did burn a bloke at the stake once for saying that there was life on other planets.

Experts have warned that the Italian ruling should not be used to draw wider conclusions about the subject. In this case company director Innocenzo Marcolini developed a tumour in the left side of his head after using his mobile phone for 5-6 hours a day for 12 years. He normally held the phone in his left hand, while taking notes with his right. Marcolini developed a neurinoma affecting a cranial nerve, which was apparently not cancerous but nevertheless required surgery that badly affected his quality of life.

He tried to get cash from the Italian Workers’ Compensation Authority INAIL which rejected his application, saying there was no proof his illness had been caused by his work. A court in Brescia later ruled there was a causal link between the use of mobile and cordless telephones and tumours.

Italy’s supreme court rejected an INAIL appeal against that ruling on October 12 though its decision was only reported on Friday. It said the lower court’s decision was justified and that scientific evidence advanced in support of the claim was reliable. But it added that Marcolini’s situation had been “different from normal, non-professional use of a mobile telephone."

Marcolini’s evidence used studies conducted between 2005-2009 by a group led by Lennart Hardell, a cancer specialist at the University Hospital in Orebro in Sweden. The court felt that the evidence was more reliable because it was not financed by the same companies that produce mobile telephones.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments