Featured Articles

Nvidia Shield 2 shows up in AnTuTu

Nvidia Shield 2 shows up in AnTuTu

Nvidia’s original Shield console launched last summer to mixed reviews. It went on sale in the US and so far Nvidia…

More...
AMD CSO John Byrne talks ARM

AMD CSO John Byrne talks ARM

We had a chance to talk about AMD’s upcoming products with John Byrne, Chief Sales Officer, AMD. We covered a number…

More...
AMD Chief Sales Officer thinks GPU leadership is critical

AMD Chief Sales Officer thinks GPU leadership is critical

We had a chance to talk to John Byrne who spent the last two years as Senior Vice President and Chief…

More...
OpenPlus One $299 5.5-inch Full HD phone

OpenPlus One $299 5.5-inch Full HD phone

OnePlus is one of the few small companies that might disrupt the Android phone market, dominated by giant outfits like Samsung.…

More...
KFA2 GTX 780 Ti Hall Of Fame reviewed

KFA2 GTX 780 Ti Hall Of Fame reviewed

KFA2 gained a lot of overclocking experience with the GTX 780 Hall of Fame (HOF), which we had a chance to…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Monday, 10 June 2013 07:13

Desilets sues Ubisoft to get control of 1666

Written by David Stellmack

Says game rights reverted to him if it was cancelled

Patrice Desilets and Ubisoft are at it again. This time, they are engaged in another round where Patrice Desilets has filed suit against Ubisoft for $400,000 and the right to purchase the 1666 project. Desilets says that the rights to purchase 1666 were in his contract with THQ, with a clause that said if the game ever became cancelled the IP rights and assets for 1666 reverted to him.

It seems that after purchasing the 1666 title from THQ Ubisoft realized that the contract that Patrice Desilets had at THQ provided for too much creative freedom, and the company apparently also said that Patrice Desilets would be difficult to control.

After the purchase of 1666 and the THQ Montreal studio, initial discussions were apparently held but no resolution was reached. Shortly after that, Ubisoft announced that Patrice Desilets was no longer with the company and that 1666 was on hold for the time being. While Desilets claims that he was terminated, Ubisoft has painted the situation as if it was just a departure from the company.

While Ubisoft says the game is on hold, they claim it has not been canceled; and Ubisoft is clear that Patrice Desilets has no rights to the game under the “turnaround right” clause because he is no longer with the company and the game has not been canceled.

It will be interesting to see how this gets resolved. Based on what happened with Zampella & West after leaving Infinity Ward, we can’t believe that Ubisoft will want this to drag out for any length of time, particularly if the press continues to keep the story alive.

blog comments powered by Disqus

To be able to post comments please log-in with Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments