The fruity cargo cult Apple appears to have blessed one of its young followers with a nasty rash. Nickel in a first-generation iPad is believed to have triggered an allergic skin reaction in an 11-year-old boy. A study, penned by dermatologists Dr Sharon Jacob and Dr Shehla Admani published by the American Academy of Pediatrics studied severe skin rashes afflicting the unidentified 11-year-old boy for more than six months.
Apparently, it took that time to work out that he was spending a lot of time on his iPad. The boy's iPad, among the first versions of the device launched in 2010, tested positive for nickel, they said. They put the tablet in a case and the boy's dermatitis improved significantly.
The report was the latest in a series of studies that have linked nickel content in electronics such as computers and smartphones to allergic reactions. Nickel is a common allergy-inducing metal. To be fair the problem can only be scientifically confirmed on first generation iPads, as it was only seen in the case of this boy.
Apple said that it found that allergies like those that were reported in this case were extremely rare. Apple products are made from the highest quality materials and meet the same strict standards set for jewelry by both the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission and their counterparts in Europe, a spokesman said.
Jacob and Admani wrote that with the increasing prevalence of nickel allergy in the paediatric population, it was important for clinicians to continue to consider metallic-appearing electronics and personal effects as potential sources of nickel exposure.