Featured Articles

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

Intel's 5th Core processor family, codenamed Broadwell, will launch in three lines for the mobile segment. We are talking about upcoming…

More...
Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Google's Chromebook OS should be updating automatically every six weeks, but Intel doesn't come close with its hardware refresh schedule.

More...
New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

Rumours involving upcoming Nexus devices are nothing uncommon, but this year there is a fair bit of confusion, especially on the…

More...
Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

As expected and reported earlier, Nvidia has now officially announced its newest Shield device, the new 8-inch Shield Tablet. While the…

More...
Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool is well known for its gamer cases with aggressive styling. However, the Dead Silence chassis offers consumers a new choice,…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Friday, 20 July 2007 15:13

American WiMax in joint effort

Written by David Stellmack

Image

To allow “seamless” nationwide roaming 


In a joint announcement today Sprint Nextel Corporation and Clearwire Corporation released their plans to build the first U.S. nationwide WiMax network. 

The wireless network will provide broadband-speed Internet access to two groups of customers:  Sprint Nextel plans to build about 65% of the network, with Clearwire handling the remaining 35%. Sprint Nextel will cover the geographic areas with nearly 185 million customers (75% of the populace in the 50 largest U.S. markets) and Clearwire will focus on other areas that cover a geographic area of about 115 million customers.  Plans are for coverage of at least 100 million customers by the end of 2008.

The joint building and coverage of the two companies will allow each company to build its network portion and service its new territory, saving each the costs of undertaking such an endeavor alone, while being able to share the benefits of creating a nationwide network.  The goal of the nationwide WiMax network will provide customers with Internet access at broadband speeds in a “seamless” delivery mode at up to 5 times the speed of existing third-generation wireless networks.

The partnership has yet to be branded with a name, and still must pass regulatory approval of the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. 


Last modified on Friday, 20 July 2007 18:24

David Stellmack

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments