Featured Articles

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

5th Generation Broadwell 14nm family comes in three lines

Intel's 5th Core processor family, codenamed Broadwell, will launch in three lines for the mobile segment. We are talking about upcoming…

More...
Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Broadwell Chromebooks coming in late Q1 2015

Google's Chromebook OS should be updating automatically every six weeks, but Intel doesn't come close with its hardware refresh schedule.

More...
New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

New round of Nexus phone rumour kicks off

Rumours involving upcoming Nexus devices are nothing uncommon, but this year there is a fair bit of confusion, especially on the…

More...
Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet

As expected and reported earlier, Nvidia has now officially announced its newest Shield device, the new 8-inch Shield Tablet. While the…

More...
Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool Dead Silence reviewed

Aerocool is well known for its gamer cases with aggressive styling. However, the Dead Silence chassis offers consumers a new choice,…

More...
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2010 orks, a business unit of Nuevvo Webware Ltd.
Wednesday, 31 October 2012 12:42

We are living in a post Windows world

Written by Nick Farrell



Canalys says the sea change has happened


Market research firm Canalys boss Steve Brazier claims that the days of Windows have past. Brazier thinks that tablets and smartphones formed part of the intelligent devices landscape together with traditional computing devices such as desktops, notebooks and ultrabooks.

Speaking to the Canalys Channels Forum Brazier did admit for a post  Windows world there seems to be a lot of the OS about. He said that the OS accounts for 72 percent of the traditional PC market, which comprises desktops, notebooks and netbooks. Other operating systems make up the remaining 28 percent. But in the intelligent devices market where other OSes such as Google Android and Apple iOS dominate with 68 percent, while Windows took 32 percent.

So in other words if you look at something where Windows was never a big player then everything changes. By that logic, my fridge does not run on Windows at all, so therefore we are already living in a post-windows world QED? Brazier acknowledged his vision did not take into account  Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 might actually take off.

According to ZDNet, Tim Coulling, analyst for the client PC market at Canalys, said that  Microsoft had not dented on the smartphone market since the launch of its Windows Phone operating system in late-2010. Meanwhile the PC market has been on a negative growth spiral. Even Asia-Pacific saw its third-quarter shipment dip 4.2 percent to 34.2 million, from 35.7 million units in the same quarter last year.

However for the last year or so the world has also been gripped in the middle of an economic slump which for some reason economic experts seem to ignore.  The mobile boom has also only been good for Apple and Samsung and is still a tiny part of the over all IT spend. Jury is still out for us.

More here.

Nick Farrell

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Facebook activity

Latest Commented Articles

Recent Comments