Published in Motherboards

Gigabyte makes cash from server boards

by on18 April 2017


Server motherboards stand for comfort


Motherboard makers have been getting a good kicking over recent years but Gigabyte is seeing some light at the end of the tunnel thanks to increased shipments for server motherboards.

Worldwide motherboard shipments have been seeing over a 10 percent on-year drop every year for the past five years and top two outfits Asustek and Gigabyte together only shipped 16-17 million motherboards in 2016. Their rivals, MSI, ASRock, ECS and Biostar shipped less than five million units each.

Motherboard and graphics card products contribute 80 per cent of Gigabyte's revenues, while the remaining 20 percent is contributed by smaller businesses such as notebooks and servers.

Gigabyte landed some big orders from Google for server products previously, but the company has only been receiving small volume orders or Dell's short term orders in the past couple of years because of fierce competitions from Quanta Computer and Inventec.

But now the cloudh as arrived, Gigabyte has recently landed new orders from US and Europe based clients and has been shipping the devices since the first quarter.

This will make more than 15 percent of Gigabyte's revenues in 2017 and will also help the company achieve better than expected profits for the year.

Meanwhile ASRock shipped less than four million motherboards in 2016, but the company's performances in server and industrial PC product lines have also been growing.

The only other motherboard maker which is doing well is MSI. Its ace in the hole has been its strong gaming notebook business and stable profits from its notebook and graphics card product lines

Last modified on 18 April 2017
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Read more about: