So far, Valve did not give out a lot of details, but at least we have something to go on until it launches in the summer of 2023. Valve was keen to note that it will be a free upgrade to CS:GO.
Valve is also launching a Limited Test as of today, which will be limited to select CS:GO players. After the testing period, meant to fix any big bugs, it will get its worldwide release.
Valve released a total of three videos, detailing some of the improvements that will be coming to Counter-Strike 2 including:
- Dynamic volumetric smoke for smoke grenades, that now interact with the environment, react to lighting, gunfire, and explosions,
- New sub-tick update architecture, which should get rid of the tick rate (As a result, regardless of tick rate, your moving and shooting will be equally responsive and your grenades will always land the same way)
- Cleaner, brighter, and better maps, that have been completely rebuilt from the ground up with new Source 2 tools and rendering features,
- Hi-Def VFX, with updated visual effects, including lighting and particle systems, an all-new look and behavior for water, explosions, fire, smoke, muzzle flashes, bullet tracers, impact effects, and more.
- Reworked, rebalanced, and reverbed audio,
Valve is promising much more to come and was keen to note that these are only a subset of features for the Limited Test, so hopefully, we'll hear more soon.